Mumbai: Neighbours rescue people trapped in Bandra building fire
No one was injured in the fire that started in the meter cabin on the ground floor of the building near Kalanagar; locals broke grills, windows to let trapped people escape
A fire broke out in a commercial and residential building near Kalanagar in Bandra (East) on Wednesday. No one was hurt in the incident, which occurred around 12 pm when the fire broke out in the meter cabin on the ground floor.
A building resident said neighbours rescued them before the fire brigade arrived and doused the fire. A fire official said a short circuit cannot be ruled out as the cause of fire. Pic/Suresh KK
The fire brigade rescued 20 people from the second floor of Suprabhat building, also known as MHB Colony building number 46. The structure is over 30 years old, and there are 38 flats in it, of which only four to five are residential.
“Due to the dense smoke and heat, I and about 3 to 4 of my employees were stuck in our ground-floor flat, which is opposite the meter cabin. Before the fire brigade arrived, some neighbours rescued us,” said Ketan Desai, who has an office in the building. Desai added, “They broke the windows and got ladders to rescue people stuck on the first floor.”
Another person also trapped in a ground floor flat, Pravesh said, “After the fire started, within 10 minutes somebody managed to break the grill and glass of the window. Then, we managed to escape as the main door was blocked due to the fire and smoke. The blaze was doused within 15 minutes by the fire brigade.
“We sent a fire engine, an ambulance, two water tankers and one 37-metre turntable ladder van. The fire was very minor and nobody was injured,” said an officer from the BKC fire station. Another officer added, “A short circuit cannot be ruled out as the cause of fire. The building did not have any firefighting equipment like extinguishers.”
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe