Mumbai: Rain-soaked 6-year-old dies of electric shock
The Sheikh family was looking forward to celebrating Eid after a month of fasting in Ramzan, however, the festive day has turned into a day of mourning for the Sheikhs
The Sheikh family was looking forward to celebrating Eid after a month of fasting in Ramzan, however, the festive day has turned into a day of mourning for the Sheikhs. The family of six lost their six-year-old to an exposed wire in Dharavi on Tuesday around noon.
The wire touched by Zoeif Sheikh (inset) that caused his death. Pic/Sameer Markande
Zoeif Sheikh did not go to his school on the fateful day and was playing with his friends, as a pre-Eid festivity. The heavy rains drenched him and he reportedly touched an exposed wire inside the house of his neighbour and got electrocuted. A loud shriek from Hazira Ansari disturbed the calm in the atmosphere and Gulistha Sheikh, mother of Zoeif, rushed to check what happened.
The lifeless body of Zoeif was lying on Hazira’s lap, who was sitting on the stairs leading to her one-room house. “We don’t know how it happened. Hazira in her first statement said that the accident took place at the staircase but later she told that it happened inside her house,” said 32-year-old Gulistha.
The boy was rushed to a private hospital, which recommended it be taken to Sion hospital where doctors declared him brought dead upon arrival. “The child was already dead when he was brought to the hospital. Electric shock is the reason for his death,” said a doctor from Sion, who conducted the autopsy.
A case of accidental death has been registered and no FIR has been lodged. “The electricity running through the wire might have pulled him and he fell unconscious since he was wet. But there is a discrepancy in the statements recorded,” said senior officer Suryakant Bangar from Dharavi police station.
Post the accident, power supplier BEST visited the spot and found the faulty electrical connection.
“They have disconnected the electricity of our house and have asked us to repair the wire,” said 28-year-old Hazira, adding that senior BEST officers would inspect the connection after the repairing is done and if they deem it fit, the power connection would be restored.