Mumbai stunt biker accident: Woman who lost mom loses 7-yr-old son too

Oct 05, 2013, 06:51 IST | Anuradha Varanasi

The child had suffered grievous injuries after a reckless 17-year-old biker crashed into their shanty on Wadala bridge

A seven-year-old, who was hit by a speeding biker on Wednesday night, breathed his last yesterday in the morning. 

Traumatised: Reeta Bharat, who ruptured a bone in Wednesday’s bike collision, had lost her mother the same night. She slipped into a shock after she heard of her son Ganesh’s demise

Ganesh Bharat was battling for his life in the intensive care unit of KEM Hospital since Wednesday, after he was rushed to the hospital along with his injured mother Reeta Bharat and grandmother Shanta Babu, who was declared dead on arrival.

Click to view: Mumbai biker's stunt crushes 1, lands 6 in hospital
MiD DAY’s report yesterday

Ganesh sustained serious head injuries when 17-year-old Rizwan Qureshi, an Antop Hill resident, was trying to pull a wheelie but lost control of the two-wheeler and hit a woman -- who died instantaneously -- and then crashed into the shanties along Wadala Bridge, injuring six others. (‘Biker’s stunt crushes 1, lands 6 in hospital’, October 4).

Dr Pravin Bangar, senior medical officer at the hospital, said, “Six people were injured following the bike accident. One was treated in the out patient department (OPD). The other five had to be admitted due to multiple fractures, after the bike rammed into them.”

“Ganesh and
3-year-old Himesh Waghela were in the ICU with grievous head injuries while Rahul, 9, is recuperating in the general paediatric ward. Ganesh died in the ICU in the morning, following which his body was handed over to the post-mortem centre,” added Dr Bangar.

Ganesh’s mother, Reeta who is still recuperating in the hospital, slipped into a state of shock after her son’s death. Her 12-day-old daughter is at a relative’s house, said a neighbour present at the hospital.

Himesh is still battling for his life in the paediatric ward. Both the boys were playing together outside their hutments when the biker lost control.

His Bajaj Pulsar (MH-01-AY-2850) is now in police custody while he was sent to Dongri remand home for juveniles on Thursday, after being produced in court.

A sub-inspector from Matunga police station where the case was registered said that the teenager was sober at the time of the mishap. 

Related News

Go to top