Mumbai: Toddler electrocuted to death, sister injured while trying to save him
The one-and-half-year-old boy suffered a fatal shock, and his four-year-old sister got injured in an attempt to save his life
The children were living in the pump house with their father, who was the watchman
A one-and-half-year-old boy was electrocuted to death in the pump room of a residential society at Carter Road, Bandra. His four-year-old sister also suffered an electric shock when she tried to save him. They are the children of the society's watchman and lived in a temporary structure in the building's pump room.
On Monday night, around 10 pm, the watchman, Shankarbahadur Dhanu, had stepped out for some work. The kids' mother was also out. Around midnight, society residents saw smoke billowing out from the shed. They rushed in and found the little boy, Didi, lying motionless, with his sister, Uma, lying next to him. As per the residents, Uma had tried to help her brother but got electrocuted as well.
They were immediately rushed to Holy Family Hospital, where Didi was declared dead on arrival. Uma is undergoing treatment and is now stable. Neither the hospital's medical director, Dr Armida Fernandez, nor the children's family was willing to comment.
An official from the fire department told this paper, "Using the pump room for residence is illegal, hence we have directed the concerned officials to lodge a complaint at the police station against the office bearers of the society."
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Maharashtra Elections 2019: Pankaja Munde and Dhananjay Munde battle it out for Parli