Mumbai Urban transport project 3: AIIB to loan Rs 3500 crore
World Bank was expected to shoulder most of the cost of the project
ASEAN Infrastructure Investment Bank(AIIB) is likely to loan Rs 3500 crore to the Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation (MRVC) for the Mumbai Urban Transport Project-3.
MUTP-3 is worth nearly 11000 crore and included two new suburban corridors, quadrupling of an existing one and other projects.
Earlier, World Bank was expected to shoulder most of the cost of the project with a loan of Rs 7000 crore. The rest of the responsibility was supposed to be taken by the state government and the centre.
According to the Railway budget of 2018-19, Rs 519 crore had been sanctioned for this project.
Talks hit a roadblock when the World Bank wanted the Panvel-Virar elevated corridor, which is included in MUTP-3A, to be included in MUTP-3.
An official told The Indian Express, “They have given us a positive response. If everything goes well, by the first week of June, there will be an official announcement.”
The official added, "We are waiting for the response. Once we get that, we will go ahead for international financial institutions to fund MUTP-3A."
Until now, the MRVC has taken a loan of Rs 1,602 crore for MUTP-1, pegged at Rs 4,452 crore; and Rs 1,750 crore for MUTP-2A, pegged at Rs 8,087.11 crore; from the World Bank.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai cops land in LOC to search man who sent a pornographic video on WhatsApp
- mid-day test drive: Mumbai streets are alive with the danger of cylinders
- Mumbai: Priest dies of shock after seeing truck run over boy at Sion-Koliwada
- Mumbai: Snakes frequenting posh Malabar Hill Society scare residents
- Dead man's case files go missing from JJ Hospital
- Mumbai: 23 BMM students of Khalsa college stranded in final year
- Shiv Sena may get Dy CM post soon
- Thane police crack Vajreshwari temple theft, nab five
- Mumbai: Rape accused flees from cops through hospital toilet in Versova
- BJP in Mumbai North to keep 3,000 laddoos, pedas ready for Thursday
- Tushar Gandhi: To drag Bapu in was strategically planned
- Mumbai Mahila Congress seeks FIR against Vivek Oberoi for insulting women's modesty
- Court quashes sexual assault FIR against actor Jeetendra filed by cousin
- TikTok Celebrity Mohit Mor shot dead; act captured on CCTV
- Poonam Mahajan: Unseen family photos of Pramod Mahajan's daughter
- Elections 2019: Popular politicians and key battles in Mumbai
- Mumbai tour operators cancel travel plans to save the fireflies
- These photos of Milind Deora with wife Pooja and family are precious
Rs. 800-crore assets seized from AP transport officer