Mumbai: Woman gives birth in train at Bhandup

Mar 20, 2016, 07:43 IST | Sadaguru Pandit

Goes into labour on Diva-CST train; RPF and GRP officials come to couple’s rescue. Docs had said her due date was a week away

A 30-year-old woman gave birth to a healthy boy on the train on Saturday morning, while travelling in the handicapped compartment. Saraswati Singh and her husband Vashisth were on their way to JJ Hospital. Just as the train was entering Bhandup station, she went into labour. Officials from the Government Railway Police (GRP) and Railway Protection Force (RPF) rushed Saraswati to a local hospital, from where she was later shifted to JJ.

Saraswati Singh and her newborn at JJ Hospital
Saraswati Singh and her newborn at JJ Hospital 

Vashisth told mid-day that he had brought Saraswati to JJ Hospital after she complained of a stomach ache just two days ago. Pregnant with their third child, Saraswati was told by the doctors that her delivery date was still a week away. The duo then went back to their Saat Rasta residence.

Vashisth said on Friday, they went to Diva to celebrate Saraswati’s sister’s birthday. “Early on Saturday morning, Saraswati started experiencing labour pains so we immediately left for JJ Hospital,” he said.

Since the train was crowded, the couple boarded the handicapped compartment. However, as the Diva-CST train was about to reach Bhandup station, Saraswati went into labour. Petrified by the condition of his wife, Vashisth asked for help and co-passengers immediately informed the RPF and GRP. “One passenger pulled the chain while the others informed the officials. Within 10 minutes, RPF and GRP officials, along with a doctor reached the spot and conducted the delivery,” added Vashisth.

Officials then rushed the woman and her 2.5-kg boy to the nearby Savitribai Phule Maternity Home for a primary checkup. Post the check-up, the hospital transferred both of them to JJ Hospital immediately. Doctors at the hospital said that while the baby is underweight, he is healthy and both the mother and the child have been kept under observation. “We are thankful that due to efforts of so many people, we managed to save our son,” said a teary-eyed Saraswati from JJ Hospital.

Go to top