Mumbai: Woman loses finger while alighting staircase at Malad railway station
Umrao works in Bandra and was alighting the staircase at 10:45 am when the ring finger of her right hand got stuck in the steel cap on the railing
Local train commuters have to go through a lot, right from overcrowded trains to stampedes, mishaps are waiting to happen in the city. Meenal Umrao, a resident of Malad, lost a portion of her finger while she was alighting the staircase at Platform 2 of Malad railway station.
Umrao works in Bandra and was alighting the staircase at 10:45 am when the ring finger of her right hand got stuck in the steel cap on the railing. As she lost her balance and fell, a portion of her finger severed.
Umrao's husband Sanjay, rushed her to a private hospital. According to railway officials, Umrao received an ex-gratia of Rs 5000.
Sanjay Umrao told Mumbai Mirror, "She lost her balance as the finger got stuck and fell. She has also suffered bruises on the knees."
A Western Railway spokesperson said that a probe has been ordered. “Our engineers visited the spot and didn’t find a problem with the steel caps. But a thorough probe will be conducted," he said.
Top news stories of the day
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Dr Payal Tadvi had no friends in her own department, say batchmates
- Gadchiroli blasts: Elderly parents worry about the future, as slain sons' wives get compensation
- Mulund society secretary booked for animal cruelty
- Mumbai: Esplanade Mansion's electricity meters removed ahead of its demolition
- Mumbai: BMC shuts two crucial foot overbridges at King's Circle
- 'Volunteers to comb forests for snares to prevent deaths of animals'
- Majeed Memon: Preserving Esplanade would mean protecting Kala Ghoda's history
- 8th Board Result 2019 RBSE: Rajasthan Results today at 4 PM, check at rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in
- SSC Result 2019: Maharashtra 10th Results to be out today at mahresult.nic.in
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Bharat Bandh: Protests at Andheri railway station in Mumbai