Nairobi attackers 'eliminated' in 20-hour siege

Updated: Jan 17, 2019, 12:25 IST | Agencies

CCTV footage broadcast on local media showed four black-clad, heavily armed men entering the complex on Tuesday afternoon

Nairobi attackers 'eliminated' in 20-hour siege
A woman cries after identifying the body of a relative at a mortuary in Nairobi. Pic/AFP

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said Wednesday that all Islamists who had stormed an upmarket hotel complex had been "eliminated" after an almost 20-hour siege that left at least 14 dead. "I can confirm that... the security operation at Dusit complex is over and all the terrorists eliminated," Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation.

"As of this moment, we have confirmation that 14 innocent lives were lost to the... terrorists, with others injured." Police sources and a mortuary official had previously reported 15 dead. Kenyatta said 700 civilians had been rescued throughout the siege, but did not clarify if people were still hiding in the complex. It was not immediately clear how many attackers there were in total.

CCTV footage broadcast on local media showed four black-clad, heavily armed men entering the complex on Tuesday afternoon. At least one of them blew himself up at the start of the attack. A police source said two attackers had been shot dead Wednesday morning after a prolonged shootout. "The two have red bandanas tied around their forehead and bullets strapped around their chest with several magazines each," the senior police officer said. "Each had an AK47 which has been secured."

Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates

This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever

DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Mumbai protests against the Pulwama terror attack

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK