No explosives found after Germany-Holland match being cancelled
A football match between Germany and the Netherlands to be held in the German city of Hanover on Tuesday evening has been cancelled due to threat of attacks, German media Focus Online reported
Berlin: A football match between Germany and the Netherlands to be held in the German city of Hanover on Tuesday evening has been cancelled due to threat of attacks, German media Focus Online reported.
According to information obtained by German media from German security sources, there was relevant indication to an attack that had been planned by potential Islamist attackers.
"We have had concrete evidence that someone wanted to ignite an explosive device at the stadium," Hanover's police chief Volker Kluwe said to German media on Tuesday night.
The "official visitors" and the teams are safe, he said, adding that the evacuation of the stadium went "smoothly".
According to a report of German media Focus Online, an ambulance with explosives was found near the stadium, which was not confirmed by the police in Hannover yet.
Earlier in the day, the access roads to the stadium holding the match were reportedly blocked after a suspicious object was found on the spot.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and several cabinet ministers were expected to attend the match, which comes four days after the terrorist attacks in Paris, which over 130 people.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Snooker champ Aditya Mehta: Pro Snooker is cut-throat but that's what I live for