No roadside firecracker stalls in city this Diwali
Following the 'it's better to be safe than sorry' approach, citing the recent blasts, civic body asks shopkeepers to install CCTV cameras citing security reasons
Following the serial low-intensity blasts at JM Road on August 1, and the security alert sounded before Diwali, the civic body is all geared up to clamp some stringent rules. The PMC has decided that it will not allow people to put up roadside firecracker stalls.
In addition, Ramesh Shelar, chief security officer and head of anti-encroachment cell, has requested shopkeepers to install CCTV cameras. Shelar said they have asked shop owners to record the face of the customers in their CCTV camera. “There is a possibility that anti-social elements can place explosives near the stalls,” he added.
Speaking to MiD DAY, Prashant Ranpise, deputy chief fire officer, PMC, said they will ensure that all mandatory rules are followed this year.
“Every firecracker stall owner will first have to obtain an NOC from the fire brigade, followed by a go-ahead by the PMC’s Permit and Skysign Department, and finally take permission from local police.”
Dattatray Nagalkar, assistant divisional officer of fire brigade, PMC, said, “So far we have received about 400 applications from people for seeking permission to set up temporary firecracker stalls during Diwali.
While Harishchandra Kusalkar, permit inspector, said, “We have asked firecracker stall owners to put up stalls on their own lands or provide a consent letter issued by the land owner. As per the government directives (E-2(9) EXPL 2/9/05) there should be minimum safe distance of human habitat from the firecracker stalls, and we’ll ensure it’s followed properly.”
Number of stalls at firecracker hubs:
Sangam Bridge area
IT Park Ground
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Bigg Boss fame Ajaz Khan arrested for sharing controversial TikTok video