Novak Djokovic closes in on number one rank after Rome triumph
Novak Djokovic closed within 650 points of world number one Rafael Nadal in the latest ATP rankings after defeating the Spaniard in the Rome Masters final
PARIS: Serbia's Novak Djokovic closed within 650 points of world number one Rafael Nadal in the latest ATP rankings after defeating the Spaniard in the Sunday's Rome Masters final.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the ATP Rome's Tennis Masters final against Rafael Nadal of Spain on Sunday at the Foro Italico in Rome. Pic/ AFP
Canada's Milos Raonic, who pushed Djokovic to three sets in the semi-finals, is the only mover amongst the top ten as he replaces Kei Nishikori at number nine with the Japanese slipping to tenth.
Bulgaria's rising star Grigor Dimitrov, who was well beaten by Nadal in the last four at Rome, climbs two places to number 12 as the circuit now heads to Paris and the French Open which begins Sunday.
Australian Open champion Stanislas Wawrinka, his Swiss compatriot Roger Federer and Spanish clay court specialist David Ferrer complete the top five.
1. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 12,500 pts
2. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 11,850
3. Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) 5,830
4. Roger Federer (SUI) 5,125
5. David Ferrer (ESP) 5,030
6. Tomas Berdych (CZE) 4,330
7. Juan-Martin Del Potro (ARG) 4,125
8. Andy Murray (GBR) 4,120
9. Milos Raonic (CAN) 2,975 (+1)
10. Kei Nishikori (JPN) 2,815 (-1)
11. John Isner (USA) 2,600
12. Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 2,515 (+2)
12. Richard Gasquet (FRA) 2,445 (-1)
14. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 2,315 (-1)
15. Fabio Fognini (ITA) 2,155
16. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) 2,065
17. Tommy Haas (GER) 2,005 (+2)
18. Tommy Robredo (ESP) 1,900
19. Ernests Gulbis (LET) 1,890 (-2)
20. Kevin Anderson (RSA) 1,710 (-1)