ON World Environment Day: Prakash Javadekar plants saplings, asks people to follow suit
The minister also clicked a picture with the sapling as part of the #SelfieWithSapling campaign he launched on Tuesday
New Delhi: On the occasion of World Environment Day on Wednesday, Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar planted saplings at the ministry headquarters here with celebrities like legendary cricketer Kapil Dev and actor Jackie Shroff.
The minister also clicked a picture with the sapling as part of the #SelfieWithSapling campaign he launched on Tuesday. The campaign is aimed at encouraging people's participation to tackle environmental issues.
Addressing the media on the occasion, Javadekar urged people to plant at least 8 to 10 trees each in their lifetime.
"Every individual should plant at least 8-10 trees to fulfil the lifetime requirement of oxygen (for one person)," he said.
"A small step may lead to a gigantic impact"— Prakash Javadekar (@PrakashJavdekar) June 5, 2019
Happy to have @moefcc MoS @SuPriyoBabul , renowned Cricketer Kapil Dev, Bollywood stars Jackie Shroff & Randeep Hooda and folk singer Malini Awasthi in the plantation drive on #WorldEnvironmentDay today in New Delhi.#SelfieWithSapling pic.twitter.com/Nrq7oXN1N7
Javadekar hailed Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari's decision to plant 125 crore trees along the national highways constructed during his tenure.
"I appreciate Gadkari ji's decision to plant 125 crore trees along the highways constructed under the Modi government. Whatever Gadkari ji decides, he delivers," he said.
The environment minister also said that his ministry is going to start a new programme called 'School Nursery'.
Under the programme, schoolchildren, with the support of the forest department, will learn to sow seeds and grow saplings. They will take the saplings home after their annual exams.
Javadekar will also plant saplings in Mumbai's Film Division on Thursday to spread awareness about environment protection through the #SelfieWithSapling campaign.
He will also visit the National Museum of Indian Cinema, which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January this year.
During his visit, Javadekar will also meet top stars from the film industry to seek their support for promoting the campaign, and spreading the message of sustainability and importance of reducing carbon footprint.
Top stories of the day
- Producer, composer held for molesting model at house party in Malad
- Mumbai Crime: Former businessman partner slits man's throat, kills him
- 'He forcibly kissed me on my face, neck before I pushed him off'
- The Dutch mystery: Cops camping in Pune in hunt for Avdhut Shinde
- 'Nair, Topiwala left students vulnerable to harassment'
- Mumbai: INTACH joins fight to save Esplanade
- HC directs MHADA to evacuate and barricade Esplanade Mansion
- 'The Rajghat of Mumbai'
- Vikhe Patil to join BJP, many Congress MLAs likely follow suit
- I will continue to write, says IAS officer Nidhi Chaudhari
- MHT-CET exam: Two top with 100 percentile
- Katrina Kaif on Bharat: It's the best role of my career
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas displays her perfect pins on the red carpet
- Kareena Kapoor: We celebrated women who broke stereotypes
- Sunny Leone to play a lawyer in spy thriller Helen
- Janhvi Kapoor, Anjana Sukhani, Pooja Hegde sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Iulia Vantur, Shanaya Kapoor, Kriti Sanon, Taapsee Pannu clicked in Bandra
- Super 30 trailer: Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, Tiger Shroff laud Hrithik Roshan
- Madhuri Dixit wants to learn a new Kathak form
- Ayushmann Khurrana on IPS Manoj Malviya: He became the prototype of my character
- Deepika Padukone wraps up the shooting of Chhapaak
- Sabyasachi pens down the journey of his friendship with Deepika Padukone
- Rangita Pritish Nandy on Four More Shots Please: May explore friendship, or just one character
- Sushmita Singh: Miss teen 2019 who was told that she was not beautiful
- These old pictures of Salman Khan will take you back in time
- World Environment Day: 9 ways humans are harming the environment
- CR fails in Mumbai-Pune in 2 hr 35 min train trials as problems galore
- World Cup 2019: Rabada calls Kohli 'immature', Virat says he will discuss 'man to man'
- World Cup 2019: It's advantage Virat Kohli and Co against South Africa!
- World Cup 2019: 'Asli' WC begins today as India take on South Africa
- World Cup 2019: Virat Kohli's Team India faces first Test vs South Africa
- World Cup 2019: Vijay Shankar could get nod against South Africa
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
World Environment Day: This Thane auto driver is on mission 'green'