Out on bail, Thane man caught with fake police ID again!

May 31, 2014, 11:08 IST | A Correspondent

Ramesh Velji Khuthia had been arrested for using a fake Thane Police ID to avoid paying tolls; after his release on bail, Mulund police caught him once again with many forged documents

Out on bail for using a counterfeit police ID card, a businessman went straight back into the police’s hands after several forged documents were found with him. The 31-year-old had been arrested on Tuesday for using a fake Thane Police identity card in order to avoid paying inter-state tolls.

Also read: Bizman, who used fake police ID to avoid paying tolls, nabbed

Ramesh Khuthia and his brother were caught with forged documents
Ramesh Khuthia and his brother were caught with forged documents

The accused Ramesh Velji Khuthia was released on bail last morning. His brother Chandrakant had accompanied him to the court. While the duo were returning to their Thane residence, the Mulund police stopped their car in a routine naka bandi.

mid-day’s report on May 28mid-day’s report on May 28

An officer from the Mulund police station said, “We asked him for his licence, but he only had a photocopy. When we asked for his car registration papers, he handed us the RC book, in which we found the fake Thane Police ID.” Police also recovered a fake RTO badge, some ‘Government of India’ car stickers and several other documents.

Khuthia had used the fake police ID for almost a year for his frequent business travels to his home state, Rajasthan, to avoid paying tolls at toll plazas. Police had caught him when he jumped a traffic signal near Mahalaxmi and he tried flashing the fake ID to avoid being arrested.

However, a constable noticed that the photograph in the fake card had him wearing a uniform with three stars, but he claimed to be a police sub-inspector, a two-star rank. The duo were arrested under sections 170 (personating a public servant), 465 (forgery), 420 (cheating) and 34 (acts done by several persons). They were produced in Mulund court yesterday and have been remanded to police custody till June 2.

Go to top