Outrage in Lok Sabha over gangrape of photojournalist in Mumbai
Lok Sabha today witnessed outrage over the gangrape of a young photojournalist in Mumbai with many members demanding death for the culprits, as Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde assured them of expeditious action against the accused.
His assurance came after Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj asked whether any time-frame has been set for prosecuting those found guilty of the crime, while pointing out that those accused in the December 16 gangrape in Delhi had not yet been sentenced.
"You hang one or two of these beasts fast ... and these incidents will stop," an agitated Swaraj said amid thumping of desks and support by several members from various parties.
Assuring the agitated members that Maharashtra government would do its utmost to expeditiously prosecute the accused, Shinde condemned the incident and informed the House that all the five culprits have been arrested.
"Public order and police are subjects exclusively dealt with by the states. The state government of Maharashtra will do its utmost to complete the investigation of the crime and prosecute the accused under law expeditiously," Shinde said.
In a shocking incident on August 22, a photojournalist was raped in South Mumbai. Since then, the police have collected evidence and completed medical and forensic examination as well as spot evaluation, he said.