Oxford Dictionary: Rahul Gandhi's claim on 'Modilie' is 'fake'
Oxford said it can confirm that 'Modilie' does not exist in any of the Oxford Dictionaries
A day after Rahul Gandhi posted a meme on social media introducing a new word 'Modilie', which he claimed was a fresh entry in the English dictionary, the Oxford Dictionaries on Thursday dismissed the Congress President's claim as "fake" and said there is no such word.
Oxford said it can confirm that 'Modilie' does not exist in any of the Oxford Dictionaries.
"We can confirm that the image showing the entry 'Modilie' is fake and does not exist in any of our Oxford Dictionaries," the Oxford Dictionaries posted on its official Twitter handle.
We can confirm that the image showing the entry ‘Modilie’ is fake and does not exist in any of our Oxford Dictionaries.— Oxford Dictionaries (@OxfordWords) May 16, 2019
Earlier on Wednesday, Rahul, took a jibe at Prime Minister Narendra Modi by posting on Twitter a screenshot of the entry in the English Living Dictionaries, which described 'Modilie' as a mass noun, that meant "to constantly modify the truth", "to lie incessantly and habitually" and 'to lie without respite'.
‘Modilie’ is a new word that’s become popular worldwide. Now there’s even a website that catalogues the best Modilies! https://t.co/Ct04DlRsj3— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) May 16, 2019
Rahul claimed that the new word has been formed by a combination of the words 'Modi' and 'lie'.
The screenshot that the Congress president had shared on Twitter, the three "meanings" of "Modilie" are displayed along with their use in sentences.
Twitter also reacted to the news and took a jibe at Rahul Gandhi.
Rahul Gandhi is the biggest fake phenomena ever to happen in India.#Modilie— Gautam Vashisht (@GautamVashisht4) May 16, 2019
#Oxford Dictionary has denied inclusion of a new word Modilie in dictionaries as lied by Pappu.— Dr.(capt.) J Prasad (@captjanardan) May 17, 2019
Trust after 23 May Oxford Dictionary will be pleased to oblige Pappu with inclusion of "PAPPULIE" - means constantly speaking lie by a precocious child with underdeveloped brain.
Opps! Instead of #Modilie here Rahullied !!— Shaifali Malukani (@sp_malukani) May 17, 2019
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: Global Hospital may lose licence for turning away poor patients
- Mumbai: Goons assault cine firm President for being refused Rs 50 lakh
- Dombivli: Man assaults TCs at Kopar railway station
- Mumbai: Wadala police to finally move out of crumbling station
- Mumbai: BMC chief grants Rs 100-crore relief to loss-making BEST
- Pune school teacher held for abusing girls under pretext of 'punishment'
- Worls Hypertension Day: Hypertension cases in Maharashtra rise by 25 percent in 2018
- Mumbai: Killer gets furlough, Keenan Santos-Reuben Fernandes' kin live in fear
- Man lends mobile to woman, molests her when she returns it in Pune
- CSMT bridge collapse: BMC's detailed bridge report a damp squib
- Cambridge 2019 results: 17 percent rise in entries
- 'Historic' HC order allows stranded sailors to leave Tag Navya ship
- Learn nature photography with BNHS CEC in Goregaon
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Rahul Gandhi to resign as Congress president?