Parliamentary panel takes exception to Nirbhaya Fund being used for construction of buildings

Updated: Feb 10, 2019, 21:54 IST | PTI

The committee said that sanctioning money from Nirbhaya Fund for schemes pertaining to compensation would render it as a fund for mere disbursal and would not have a desired impact at the ground-level in enhancing the security scenario for the women

Parliamentary panel takes exception to Nirbhaya Fund being used for construction of buildings
Representational image

A parliamentary panel has taken strong exception to the utilisation of Nirbhaya Fund in the construction of buildings, saying such allocations virtually defeat the very purpose of the project - women safety.

The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs, headed by Congress leader P Chidambaram, on Thursday said it is of the firm view that funds for construction of buildings should come from other sources.

"The committee strongly recommends that the home ministry should desist from sanctioning funds for schemes like construction of buildings from the Nirbhaya Fund and adhere to its original purpose," it said.

The Nirbhaya Fund was started in 2013 by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to implement initiatives aimed at enhancing the safety and security of women across the country.

The non-lapsable corpus fund was instituted following gang-rape of a girl in Delhi in 2012 which triggered a nation-wide outrage and protests. The committee said that sanctioning money from Nirbhaya Fund for schemes pertaining to compensation would render it as a fund for mere disbursal and would not have a desired impact at the ground-level in enhancing the security scenario for the women.

The panel observed that Rs 200 crore has been sanctioned as a one-time grant for Central Victim Compensation Fund (CVCF) Scheme for compensating women victims of acid attacks, rape, trafficking, etc.  It appreciated the necessity and significance of the CVCF Scheme, however, suggesting that this scheme could have been funded from other sources.

The committee took note of the reply of the home ministry that the decreased allocation made for 'Schemes of Safety of Women' was primarily because most of the expenditure out of the approved outlay for Emergency Response Support System had already been incurred up to 2017-18.

The committee, however, felt that the home ministry should have been "more proactive in finding new technology-driven projects" that could have been implemented during the current fiscal year.
"The committee feels that ministry should identify such innovative projects for funding and implementation.

"The committee, therefore, recommends that the ministry should undertake sincere efforts to identify innovative technology-driven projects that can enhance the safety of women, and seek additional funds for their implementation," it said.

Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also, download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates

This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever

DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Mumbai protests against the Pulwama terror attack

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK