Pune: Camel dies after being electrocuted by power meter

Updated: Nov 17, 2014, 09:49 IST | Chaitraly Deshmukh |

Due to heavy rains in the city, a wall adjacent to the distribution panel meter collapsed, causing the meter to fall and expose live wires; a local who put up the wall had not taken requisite permissions to construct it

A Camel was electrocuted to death in the city on Sunday morning, allegedly due to illegal renovation work carried out by a local resident. A wall put up by the resident collapsed due to heavy rains, causing the nearby distribution panel meter to fall and expose a live wire. The Market Yard police have booked the resident for the incident.

The camel died after being electrocuted by the live wire that was exposed when the illegal wall allegedly constructed by Peena Chavan fell on the distribution panel meter.

According to the police, on Sunday morning, Aasaram Wajir Pawar (50), the owner of a 14-year-old camel, was moving near the area. Since it had rained heavily in the city, there was water on the road. The owner and the camel sustained electric shock while passing by, but the animal bore the brunt and died.

Pawar then approached the Market Yard police claiming he had sustained injuries, and his animal had died due to an
electric current in the Gangadham area. When police went to the spot to check on the matter, they found engineers from the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company (MSEDCL) working on restoring power.

Nandakumar Laxman Patil (54), assistant lineman, MSEDCL, said, “On Sunday around 7.50 am, I received a complaint that Gangadham area had no electricity. When we reached the spot, I noticed a distribution panel (DP) meter fallen on the road, due to which people passing by were receiving electric shocks. I immediately closed down supply to the area and repaired it.”

Patil later came to know that the DP meter had fallen because a local resident, Peena Chavan of Guru Ganesh plot in Gangadham, was renovating his house and had carried out parking levelling. A wall Chavan had allegedly built had collapsed due to the rains, causing the DP meter to fall and expose live wire.

Market Yard Police later made enquiries and came to know that Chavan was carrying out renovation work without taking due permissions. The owner was booked under Section 429 (mischief by killing or maiming cattle etc of any value or any animal of the value of fifty rupees) of the Indian Penal Code.

Rajendra Kambale, PSI, Market Yard police station, said, “The camel was the bread-and-butter for Pawar. On Sunday he was heading to the city park using this road, and this mishap took place. Due to Chavan’s negligence and mischief, the camel and the owner sustained shock. The owner managed to move aside in time, but the camel went out of control and died.”

The animal’s autopsy will be carried out at a government veterinary hospital before its body is returned to Pawar.

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK