Pune: Locals erupt in protests after car crushes 10-yr-old on bicycle

Jun 16, 2014, 05:20 IST | Salil Urunkar

Residents of Pimprigaon blocked traffic for more than nine hours yesterday, after a car knocked down a 10-year-old boy on Sunday morning

Residents of Pimprigaon staged protests and obstructed vehicular traffic for more than nine hours on the dairy farm road in Pimpri on Sunday morning, after a car knocked down a 10-year-old boy who was riding his bicycle.

The deceased has been identified as Aman Raghunath Yadav (10), a resident of Military Dairy Farm colony in Pimpri and a Std V student of Indira Gandhi School. Pimpri police have registered a case of rash and negligent driving against the unknown car

Head crushed
Inspector B B Mudiraj, in-charge of Pimpri police station, said, “Aman Yadav was riding his bicycle on the dairy farm road on Sunday morning when a speeding car headed towards the highway knocked him down. Aman fell on the road and his head was crushed under the wheels of the car. He died on the spot.”

“After the accident, residents informed the police control room about the incident. Immediately after receiving the call, policemen on patrolling duty reached the spot. Meanwhile, some youths staged protests and blocked the road with stones. The mob also pelted stones at the police and some other vehicles,” Mudiraj said.

Pimpri police staff including Inspector Mudiraj, Assistant Inspector Santosh Patil, Police Sub-Inspector H V Mane and a unit of the State Reserve Police Force was deployed at the spot to control the situation.

Pimprigaon protest
Fire and fury: Locals blocked the roads in Pimprigaon, and even started a blaze at some spots to protest the incident; (inset) the deceased boy, Aman Yadav. Pic/Mohan Patil

The child’s uncle Ramesh Ramprasad Yadav claimed that he called up the police control room on ‘100’ three to four times, but his calls went unanswered.

“If the police had responded swiftly, the car driver could have been caught in a few minutes. However, the cops took more than an hour to reach the spot, because of which the driver managed to flee,” he said.

Senior police officials refuted Yadav’s charges, attributing the delay to the fact that the road where the accident took place falls under military jurisdiction.

“We had to inform the military police about the situation. When the military police team arrived and pacified the youths, normalcy was restored in the area and the road was opened for traffic in the afternoon,” the officer said.

Go to top