PV Sindhu pulls out of the season opening USD 600,000 Korea Open
Young star follows fellow Indian badminton stars in staying away
After Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap, top shuttler PV Sindhu has pulled out of the season opening $600,000 Korea Open Super Series to be held in Seoul January 7-12.
Saina and Kashyap withdrew their entries in the last two days citing ill health and injury.
“My coach Pullela Gopichand told me to withdraw my entry from Korea Open yesterday. Now I will play the Malaysia Open Super Series Premier and the India Grand Prix Gold events in January,” Sindhu told IANS here.
The Malaysia Open (Jan 14-19) is followed by the GP Gold event in Lucknow (Jan 21-26) where she reached the final last year. Earlier the World Championship bronze medallist was to play in Korea and Malaysia and was going to skip the Indian tournament.
“Yes that was the plan initially but Gopi sir usually plans which tournaments I am going to play. Anyway, earlier too, I was to play two tournaments next month and that remains the same,” the 18-year-old added.
It was Gopichand’s plan to pull out Sindhu from a couple of Super Series events in October and November so that she could train for the Macau Open, resulting in her victory at the Grand Prix Gold event December 1.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Ravi Shastri re-appointed as Team India head coach