Rahul Gandhi calls for making environmental degradation a political issue
The Congress president blamed mankind's "insatiable lust for power and wealth" for speeding up of environmental destruction
New Delhi: On the occasion of World Environment Day on Wednesday, Congress president Rahul Gandhi expressed concern over environmental degradation and called for making it a political issue so that it gets the importance it deserves.
Taking to Facebook, he said millions of Indians are suffering and even dying as a direct consequence of environmental degradation and the government's "unwillingness" to address these issues on a war footing.
"Till we make environmental issues political issues, they won't get the importance they deserve. This World Environment Day, let's get together and commit to doing just that," Gandhi said.
The Congress president blamed mankind's "insatiable lust for power and wealth" for speeding up of environmental destruction.
He warned that mankind is at the tipping point and if environmental degradation is not reversed now, there may be no turning back.
Gandhi said there is now enough scientific evidence to show that much of the degradation caused, particularly in the last 100 years or so, is irreversible.
"Global warming isn't a myth. It's a reality. India's polluted cities, where citizens struggle to breathe, aren't a myth, they too are a reality. As are our polluted rivers and water bodies and depleting ground water and disappearing forest cover," he said.
He also posted a similar appeal on Twitter.
"Massive degradation of our environment has directly impacted and destroyed the lives of millions of Indians. Yet environmental issues don't get the importance they deserve, because they aren't seen as political issues. This World Environment Day, let us resolve to change that," he said.
Massive degradation of our environment has directly impacted & destroyed the lives of millions of Indians. Yet environmental issues don’t get the importance they deserve, because they aren’t seen as political issues.— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) June 5, 2019
This #WorldEnvironmentDay let us resolve to change that. pic.twitter.com/ZmHwNhgkHQ
Top stories of the day
- Producer, composer held for molesting model at house party in Malad
- Mumbai Crime: Former businessman partner slits man's throat, kills him
- 'He forcibly kissed me on my face, neck before I pushed him off'
- The Dutch mystery: Cops camping in Pune in hunt for Avdhut Shinde
- 'Nair, Topiwala left students vulnerable to harassment'
- Mumbai: INTACH joins fight to save Esplanade
- HC directs MHADA to evacuate and barricade Esplanade Mansion
- 'The Rajghat of Mumbai'
- Vikhe Patil to join BJP, many Congress MLAs likely follow suit
- I will continue to write, says IAS officer Nidhi Chaudhari
- MHT-CET exam: Two top with 100 percentile
- Katrina Kaif on Bharat: It's the best role of my career
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas displays her perfect pins on the red carpet
- Kareena Kapoor: We celebrated women who broke stereotypes
- Sunny Leone to play a lawyer in spy thriller Helen
- Janhvi Kapoor, Anjana Sukhani, Pooja Hegde sweat it out at gym in Bandra
- Iulia Vantur, Shanaya Kapoor, Kriti Sanon, Taapsee Pannu clicked in Bandra
- Super 30 trailer: Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, Tiger Shroff laud Hrithik Roshan
- Madhuri Dixit wants to learn a new Kathak form
- Ayushmann Khurrana on IPS Manoj Malviya: He became the prototype of my character
- Deepika Padukone wraps up the shooting of Chhapaak
- Sabyasachi pens down the journey of his friendship with Deepika Padukone
- Rangita Pritish Nandy on Four More Shots Please: May explore friendship, or just one character
- Sushmita Singh: Miss teen 2019 who was told that she was not beautiful
- These old pictures of Salman Khan will take you back in time
- World Environment Day: 9 ways humans are harming the environment
- CR fails in Mumbai-Pune in 2 hr 35 min train trials as problems galore
- World Cup 2019: Rabada calls Kohli 'immature', Virat says he will discuss 'man to man'
- World Cup 2019: It's advantage Virat Kohli and Co against South Africa!
- World Cup 2019: 'Asli' WC begins today as India take on South Africa
- World Cup 2019: Virat Kohli's Team India faces first Test vs South Africa
- World Cup 2019: Vijay Shankar could get nod against South Africa
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Pm Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' initiative has failed, says Rahul Gandhi