Rape case against DIG: Model had more power than Paraskar, says judge
Observing the lack of evidence against Sunil Paraskar, the judge added that the model had offered to facilitate a lucrative transfer for him through her connections
On December 4, suspended Maharashtra Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Sunil Paraskar, who had been accused of molesting and raping a city-based model in 2014, was discharged by the Dindoshi Sessions Court. In the order copy of the discharge, Judge VA Raut observed that there was no evidence against Paraskar.
Suspended DIG Sunil Paraskar was discharged in the case on December 4. File pic
The judge made various observations in the order copy, which states that Paraskar’s discharge application was allowed since there was no evidence found against him. Among the observations made by the judge, one that stands out is the fact that the model had offered to get the DIG transferred to a lucrative post through her political connections.
On the point of her helping Paraskar get transferred to a better post, the judge observed, “If we consider the emails, WhatsApp messages from the model to Paraskar, they show that she would not have made efforts to get Paraskar transferred to a better post. As per the FIR, if the incident of molestation and rape had taken place, then she would not have made efforts to get him transferred to a better and more powerful post. Her direct connection to the chief minister, deputy chief minister, home minister shows she was much more powerful than Paraskar.”
After going through the FIR, the judge observed that it had been filed after an abnormal delay of 7.5 months. “After going through the FIR and various emails, Twitter account and WhatsApp messages, which are part of chargesheet, it shows that during this period of delay, the model was regularly communicating with Paraskar.”
She added, “The delay is not properly or satisfactory explained, she has only given reasons like fear of power and contacts, humiliation, embarrassment and trauma.” Observing the model’s conduct while meeting Paraskar after the alleged molestation and rape, the judge said, “In a normal situation, the model would not have gone alone to the unknown place with Paraskar in her car again in just six days if she was really molested.
So, no trauma is seen from the messages retrieved from her phone, where she is seen insisting that he meet her every Saturday and Sunday. She would not have sent messages like, ‘You are only mine and mine..i want to talk-talk-talk and talk with you…u r only my cup baki sab pani cum chai.’ She would not have asked him to arrange a location for film shooting, if at all she had been molested and raped previously.”
Regarding her entry to the reality show Bigg Boss, the judge went through the messages shared by the model and her advocate, and said, “It appears that there is ample evidence to show her eagerness for a role in Bigg Boss. There is evidence from her messages to her advocate, which says that she was competing with a rival model, one Poonam Pandey. There are enough messages and emails on record in May, June, July 2014, after the alleged incident where the model falsely made allegations against Paraskar to get publicity.”
No medical evidence
Regarding the medical evidence the judge said, “There is absolutely no medical evidence against Paraskar. There is nothing on record to prove the charge of rape.”
In July 2014, a first information report (FIR) was registered against Paraskar by the suburban Malwani Police under Sections 376 (2) (rape by a police officer), 376 C (intercourse by superintendent of jail, remand home, etc) and 354(D) (stalking) of the IPC.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai Rains: 6 ways to stay healthy and safe this monsoon