Raped widow threatens to kill self on I-Day if FIR is not filed

Aug 09, 2013, 00:21 IST | Akela

The victim, who is now untraceable, was allegedly thrashed and sexually abused by an Ulhasnagar businessman after she lodged a complaint against him over a financial dispute

Her impassioned letter has stirred the police department out of its slumber, but Supriya Mohite (name changed) isn’t around to observe the repercussions. Cops say the 38-year-old widow, who wrote to the police commissioner threatening to kill herself if a case wasn’t lodged against her alleged rapist, has disappeared.

Piling on the agony: The 38-year-old widow who was allegedly raped by Ulhasnagar businessman Mahesh Gabra. She sent a letter to the police commissioner, narrating her ordeal

A complaint was lodged yesterday against the accused, Mahesh Gabra (40).

The Ulhasnagar businessman allegedly sexually and physically assaulted the victim, after the latter contacted the cops over a financial dispute.

According to the information available, Mohite had been regularly depositing some money for safekeeping with Gabra, a long-time family acquaintance.

Recently she met the accused and demanded a little capital back for her son’s school admission. However, the victim was shocked when Gabra refused and claimed that she had never given any money to him.

When her repeated appeals failed, on July 9 the widow approached the police and lodged a complaint.

Sources said the next day cops called Gabra to the police station, where he agreed to return the money.

In front of the police officials, he handed a cheque of Rs 10.75 lakh to Mohite that later bounced. The victim informed Gabra about this, but he said he was aware and never intended to give back the money. Mohite again approached the police. This infuriated Gabra.

On August 4, the accused called Mohite to his home at Rani Mahal building, near Prabhat Garden, Ulhasnagar-4, promising to return the money. On her arrival, Gabra sent his daughter and son upstairs, and allegedly thrashed and raped the victim.

Mohite complained (copy available with MiD DAY) on Wednesday to several top cops against Hill Line police personnel alleging that they were refusing to register a rape FIR against Gabra. She also alleged that without filing a case, the police sent her for a medical examination where the doctors refused to comply.

However, after admitting her for three days a test was conducted. But this time too the police declined to lodge a case. It was then that Mohite wrote a letter (copy with MiD DAY) to the commissioner of police, threatening to commit suicide on August 15, if police do not register her FIR.

“We are waiting for the complainant. She has remained untraceable since morning (Thursday). If she meets us, we will file an FIR,” said Narendra Jadhav, senior inspector, Hill Line police station.

Rs 10.75 lakh
The amount on the cheque -- which later bounced -- that the accused handed to the victim at the police station

August 4
Day Gabra called the victim home and allegedly raped her  

Go to top