Ready to be Congress leader in Lok Sabha, says Shashi Tharoor
Tharoor said that he is ready to take the responsibility of the Leader of the Congress party in the Lok Sabha if the party offers him the job
In the recent concluded 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Congress politician Shashi Tharoor had a third straight win from Thiruvananthapuram, with 3,33,415 votes over his nearest rival of the BJP. He said he felt like a batsman who has scored a century while his team has lost.
Now, the senior Congress leader has said that he is ready to take the responsibility of the Leader of the Congress party in the Lok Sabha if the party offers him the job. "If offered, I am ready to be the Congress Lok Sabha leader," Tharoor, elected for a third consecutive term as an MP from Thiruvananthapuram, told Tiranga TV on Monday.
Senior #Congress leader #ShashiTharoor has said that he is ready to take the responsibility of the Leader of the Congress party in the #LokSabha if party offers him the job.— IANS Tweets (@ians_india) May 27, 2019
Photo: IANS pic.twitter.com/cJ3AxjERAt
Tharoor accepted the Congress' main election theme -- 'NYAY' -- was not properly communicated among the electorate and criticized Congress President Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi's "soft Hindutava" plank. He, however, insisted that Rahul Gandhi should continue as the Congress President.
"The party could consider appointing a series of regional working presidents to assist him," the former Union Minister said. Tharoor also said the Congress and other opposition parties must challenge the belief that the Hindutva concept of India, as essentially a Hindu country, has triumphed over the Nehruvian view of secularism that India is a country of multiple religions, castes, cultures, and identities.
Tharoor, a former UN Under-Secretary-General, has been representing Thiruvananthapuram since 2009.
In 2014, he won by a narrow margin of 15,000-odd votes against BJP veteran O. Rajagopal. In 2019, he defeated Kummanam Rajasekharan of the BJP by 99,989 votes. The Congress won 52 seats in the Lok Sabha polls. It remains the main opposition party in the house. However, like in the 16th Lok Sabha, the Congress has not qualified to have a Leader of Opposition in the 17th Lok Sabha.
Top News stories of the day
- Mumbai: Derailment at Kurla disrupts Central Railway train services
- Mumbai crime: Popular salon stylist groped me, says actress
- Mumbai: Behind PG medico's suicide, constant barbs in WhatsApp groups
- Blood banks that don't update stock status will lose licence
- Mumbai: 50-year-old critically injured in Jogeshwari gas explosion dies
- Narendra Modi visits mother Heeraben in Gandhinagar, seeks blessings
- Mumbai crime: FIR registered in Anurag Kashyap's tweet plaint
- Mumbai: Vikhroli Metro station to tower over EEH, JVLR
- Narendra Dabholkar murder: 'Defence lawyer's clerk arrested from Thane'
- Super volatile all this while
- Mumbai: Civic body to find out if parking under open spaces is possible
- Mumbai crime: Two fake cops trying to loot senior citizen arrested
- Mumbai: Western Railway's third AC local will roll out in December
- Daawat to dine
- A Himalayan feast
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe