Report power theft, get 10% of worth of stolen electricity as reward
Informants who provide tip-offs about power theft will now be given 10 per cent of the total value of theft as a reward from the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL)
Informants who provide tip-offs about power theft will now be given 10 per cent of the total value of theft as a reward from the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL).
Earlier, the authority gave Rs 1,000 as a reward, irrespective of the amount of theft. The decision was recently taken at the Pune Zonal Office with a view to curb power thefts that lead to severe losses to the electricity distributor. According to the decision, informants will be given 10 per cent of the amount initially, while the remaining 90 per cent will be provided after the defaulted amount is recovered from the violator.
Therefore, if a power theft is worth Rs 1 lakh, the reward amount would be Rs 10,000. Accordingly, 10 per cent of Rs 10,000 i.e. Rs 1,000 will be given first and the remaining amount will be provided after MSEDCL recovers the sum along with the compounding and default penalties.
While the first payment will be given in cash, the remaining will be electronically transferred through the National Electronic Funds Transfer after taking down account details of the informants. An MSEDCL official said the identity of the informer will not be disclosed but the veracity of the information will be checked first.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe