Rescued sex worker's minor daughter raped

Sep 14, 2012, 06:43 IST | Vinay Dalvi

The teenager, who was repeatedly sexually abused by her employer, is now in a children's home and will give birth in three months

The 17-year-old daughter of a woman who was rescued from sex trade 22 years ago by an NGO was raped by the former’s employer. The 36-year-old accused, who runs an STD booth in south Mumbai was arrested last Friday.

Zahir Ali Sher Ali (right), an STD booth owner, was arrested for raping and blackmailing the 17-year-old
In the net: Zahir Ali Sher Ali (right), an STD booth owner, was arrested for raping and blackmailing the 17-year-old

According to police the victim was working in the STD booth at Patthe Bapurao Marg Girgaum owned by Zahir Ali Sher Ali and was also pursuing her education. “In 1990 the girl’s mother was rescued from the Kamathipura area by NGO Prerana. She was later given some basic education and had started working as a maid. The NGO had done this so the women’s daughter was not forced into prostitution,” said Milind Kate, sub-inspector of VP Road police station.

After passing class X, the girl had joined a course with SNDT Women’s University. “She was offered a job by Ali paying Rs 3,500 per month. The victim, a resident of Lamington Road, thought this was her opportunity to help her mother but did not see the man’s real intentions,” said the sub-inspector.

In January 2012 Ali called her to his home, showed her some obscene video clips and then forced himself upon her. Ali then warned her against saying anything to anyone and the trail of sexual abuse continued. “In August the girl came to know she was 20 weeks pregnant and the doctors told her an abortion was impossible. The girl then approached Ali again for help, who promised to marry her. He later took her to a maulana at Bhendi Bazaar and completed the ceremony,” the cop said.

The girl was not happy with the ‘arrangement’. She approached Prerana and then lodged a complaint with the police. “We arrested the accused for blackmailing and raping the victim. But the girl’s future is bleak. She has been put in Byculla children’s home. She will become a mother in three months and will struggle for a living. The girl’s mother is not willing to accept her and blames her for the whole episode,” the sub-inspector said. 

Go to top