RTI activist suicide: 'Will probe allegations against policemen later,' says Chakan police

Mar 27, 2014, 05:39 IST | Salil Urunkar

Chakan police said they would conduct inquiries regarding the accusations he made in his suicide note against senior policemen after questioning the relatives he had named

A day after Right To Information (RTI) activist Vilas Baravkar committed suicide, Chakan police seemed to be doing little to investigate the allegations he made in his suicide note against several senior police officers.

Vilas Baravkar’s (above) body was taken to Chakan rural hospital for post-mortem on Tuesday

“We are looking into the allegations made by Baravkar against his relatives, but will investigate the role of police officers later,” said a senior police official who is part of the investigation team.

On Wednesday, the police called Baravkar’s family members and handed them his belonging after his post-mortem was conducted art Chakan rural hospital.

Sushil Shevkare, Baravkar’s son-in-law, said, “We were called by the police to collect his belongings. The cops haven’t informed us about the investigation details. They have not even recorded our statements.”

Asked about the police protection the Baravkar family had demanded following his death, Sushil said, “We will be submitting an application to the Chakan police on Saturday, after completing the last rituals. We have requested senior police officials to provide police protection to us. I hope they take a decision soon.”

Additional superintendent of police (SP), Vijaykumar Magar, told reporters that an enquiry has been initiated and the probe has been transferred to deputy SP Vaibhav Kalubarme.

Baravkar was found hanging from the ceiling in his room on Tuesday morning at his Chakan residence. He was an active RTI campaigner and had unearthed many scams including the one embroiling a Rajgurunagar cooperative bank, whose top brass, he had alleged, were involved in illegal construction activities and economic offences.

He had also exposed other shady land dealings in Chakan-Khed area. He had been provided police protection four years ago, when he began receiving death threats.

Go to top