Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti profile: Saffron-clad Union minister from Uttar Pradesh
Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti has been sworn in as a Minister of State in the Narendra Modi-led Union cabinet. Before testing her popularity as an MP, she was an MLA in Uttar Pradesh from 2012 to 2014, when she represented Hamirpur assembly constituency
New Delhi: In the last Parliament, Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti was easy to spot thanks to her saffron robes. The minister in the first Narendra Modi government, is back in the House after winning from Fatehpur parliamentary constituency in Uttar Pradesh, improving her victory margin this time by over 70,000 votes.
Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti has been sworn in as a Minister of State in the Narendra Modi-led Union cabinet. Before testing her popularity as an MP, she was an MLA in Uttar Pradesh from 2012 to 2014, when she represented Hamirpur assembly constituency.
In December 2014, Jyoti stoked a controversy by allegedly making certain communal remarks and using an expletive in an election rally, leaving the BJP and the government embarrassed as an angry opposition demanded that she be sacked.
The remarks that voters of Delhi should choose between "Ram's sons" and "illegitimate sons" drew the ire of opposition which protested in Parliament following which Jyoti expressed "deep regret".
In the previous Modi government, Jyoti held the portfolio of Minister of State for Food Processing Industries. The MP has been a strong advocate of promoting afforestation, social and cultural values, protecting cows, uplifting poor children and helping women from financially weak backgrounds get married.
The 52-year-old, who has studied upto school level, lists gardening, participating in religious and cultural programmes and reading scriptures and biographies of social and political leaders as her pastimes. Apart from this, Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti is also interested in undertaking pilgrimages and listening to hymns.
Top stories of the day
- Mumbai Crime: Baby kidnapper pretended to be pregnant for 7 months, reveals probe
- Maharashtra cabinet reshuffle to take place on June 16
- Pastor dupes 700 people of one parish
- Mumbai: Loose iron scaffolding at GST office leaves bizman 'brain dead'
- Mumbai Diary: Saturday Dossier
- On 51st birthday, Raj Thackeray blesses flower bouquet while Sharmila blushes
- From Shashi Tharoor's son to Laxmi Mittal's daughter: Big, fat Indian weddings
- Mumbai rains: These 15 photos will surely put a smile on your face!
- Mumbai: Alert nurse of Nair hospital helps reunite kidnapped baby with parents
- Mumbai: Vashi school refuses admission to child of single mother
- Mumbai: Bio-toilets near Gateway of India shut after wind, waves slam it leaving debris on road
- Mumbai Rains: 100 illegal structures on nullahs razed in five days by BMC
- Mumbai Rains: Three dead in tree collapse incidents in Jogeshwari, Malad, and Govandi
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai's first four-wheeled auto rickshaw hits the streets!