Mumbai: Cops suspect filmmaker Sai Kabir's help was in a scuffle before he fell to death

Updated: 11 February, 2018 13:51 IST | Hajra Bi | Mumbai

Police said there were traces of wet flour on victim Raju's hands and neck; kitchen was strewn with vegetables and utensils

Sai Kabir was heavily intoxicated at the time of the incident
Sai Kabir was heavily intoxicated at the time of the incident

Was there some tension simmering between Sai Kabir and his domestic help Raju Mahar before the latter's mysterious fall from the filmmaker's seventh-floor apartment? Police sources have revealed that Raju's hands were coated in flour and dough, suggesting that he was cooking at the time of the incident. What's suspicious, though, is that utensils were scattered all over the kitchen floor, as if someone had flung them there.

The most chilling detail that has emerged so far is the condition that the cops found the kitchen in, with utensils strewn about on the floor, indicating some sort of scuffle or conflict. Police sources said that the police suspect that Raju may have fallen from the kitchen window, but this is yet to be established. All the windows in the flat face the same direction.

The sources added that Raju's hands suggested that he was kneading dough right before the incident. His neck was also covered in flour, and cops also found vegetables and spices lying open in the kitchen. Investigations have revealed that one of Sai's friends had been staying at the flat for the past month. However, he was not present there at the time of the incident, leaving no eyewitnesses. Sai was so heavily intoxicated that he could not clearly comprehend what had happened. He is currently still in rehab at Masina Hospital. His friends helped him check in to rehab, but surprisingly, none of his family members were there in this time of crisis.

The preliminary post-mortem report suggests that the cause of death was multiple injuries, including skull and internal fractures. His viscera and blood samples have been sent for forensic analysis.

Meanwhile, the police are waiting for Raju's younger brother, Ranjeet, to return in two weeks from his hometown in Nepal. Ranjeet had earlier said that his brother was under a lot of stress as Sai had not paid him for five months. Sai's friend who was living at the flat also confirmed that Raju had not been paid at least for the past month.

Catch up on all the latest Mumbai, National and International news here

Download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Trending Video

First Published: 07 February, 2018 08:24 IST

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK