Second inquest confirms Amy Winehouse drank herself to death

Jan 08, 2013, 22:39 IST | PTI

British singer Amy Winehouse died from accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after a period of abstinence, a second coroner's inquest confirmed Tuesday.

A second inquest into Amy Winehouse's death has confirmed that the singer died of drinking too much alcohol. 

The 27-year-old 'Rehab' singer was found dead at her home in Camden, north London, in 2011.

The verdict is identical to the first hearing which had to be repeated after the deputy coroner was found to lack the relevant experience, reported BBC News.

The coroner at St Pancras Coroner's Court recorded a verdict of misadventure, the same as the original inquest in October 2011.

Amy Winehouse
At the first inquest, the coroner had said that Amy Winehouse's blood-alcohol levels measured more than five times the legal limit for driving.

The hearing also heard the same evidence as the first inquest.

The hearing was told the 'Back To Black' star was more than five times the legal drink-drive limit when she died.

Dr Shirley Radcliffe, St Pancras Coroner, said the star died from "alcohol toxicity", adding it was "a level of alcohol commonly associated with fatality". She said Winehouse "voluntarily consumed alcohol" and added "two empty vodka bottles were on the floor" beside her bed when her body was discovered.

The inquest was told the post mortem examination gave the cause of death as alcohol toxicity and the singer probably suffered a respiratory arrest. Winehouse had resumed drinking after a period of abstinence.  

Go to top