Serie A: No excuse for Juventus' defeat to Genoa, says Allegri
Massimiliano Allegri insists Juventus had no right to submit so meekly to an astounding three-goal raid by Genoa at the Marassi
Turin: Massimiliano Allegri insists Juventus had no right to submit so meekly to an astounding three-goal raid by Genoa at the Marassi.
A brace from Giovanni Simeone, the son of Atletico Madrid head coach Diego, and a 30th-minute own goal from Alex Sandro left Juve fighting an uphill battle on Sunday, and Miralem Pjanic's late strike offered mere consolation in a 3-1 loss. "It was not a good day.
Juventus players sport a dejected look after conceding a goal against Genoa during an Italian league tie on Sunday. Pic/AFP
We can have no excuses for that first half-hour, one which determined the outcome of the match. I'm the first person you should be blaming for that. The team improved from then on but the game had already gone," Allegri said.
Referring to the opening 30 minutes, Allegri said: "Games like this are tough. We committed eight fouls and conceded three goals, and with those numbers, nine times out of 10, you lose. We need to cut out the naivety with which we started the match," he added.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe