Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea gives consent for voice sample test

Nov 03, 2015, 15:25 IST | Saylee Dhayalkar

Indrani Mukherjea, the prime accused in Sheena Bora murder case, on Tuesday gave her consent before a court here for conduct of voice sample test on her

Indrani Mukherjea, the prime accused in Sheena Bora murder case, on Tuesday gave her consent before a court in Mumbai for conduct of voice sample test on her.

Indrani Mukerjea

Indrani Mukerjea

When Indrani was brought to court, she told court that she is ready to give her consent but wants to know about the voice recording. The court then waited for CBI Public Prosecutor Kavita Patil. When she came to the court Indrani asked her about the application to which Patil said we cannot disclose more on it but the CBI has a conversation with a female voice which they want to compare with Indrani's voice.

To which Indrani said, "I give my consent for recording my voice samples."

Patil said the agency will decide on whether her voice samples will be taken in the jail premises or elsewhere.

CBI had last week moved an application before the court seeking her voice samples for verification, as it has got hold of some call records which purportedly feature her voice. Magistrate R V Adone allowed CBI's application and directed that jail manual be followed while conducting the voice sampling test.

Soon after she was produced in court today, the magistrate referred to the CBI plea, to which Indrani asked, "What is it about? This is to match with what?" The court then asked her to wait for the special public prosecutor to arrive.

After this, Indrani gave her consent in writing for conduct of voice sample test on her. 43-year-old Indrani, her former husband Sanjeev Khanna and her driver Shyam Rai were last week remanded in judicial custody till November 7 in the murder case. They have been arrested on the charge of murdering 24-year-old Sheena, daughter of Indrani, and disposing of her body in a Raigad forest in April 2012.

The case is being probed by CBI after the Maharashtra government had sought its transfer from Mumbai Police to the central investigation agency. Indrani was recently hospitalised after her platelet count dipped drastically. However, doctors at JJ Hospital had later made it clear that she was not suffering from dengue as suspected.

On October 2, Indrani was taken to JJ Hospital from Byculla womens' prison in an unconscious state, fuelling speculation that she had overdosed on anti-depressant drugs. But the probe by Inspector General (prisons) ruled out the possibility of drug overdose, poisoning or suicide bid.

- With inputs from PTI

Go to top