Priyanka Chopra's sheer dress got called out as 2020's first faux pas. Here's how to do it tastefully if you do it at all
Sophisticated in shirts
- Don't underestimate the charm of a sheer shirt. A delicate one like Deepika Padukone's can work at formal events too, though with a bralette that covers a tad more.
- Pick a loose one in a light shade. Some detailing on the shirt helps.
- Pair this with pants or a formal skirt in the same shade, with a touch of silver or gold.
- Pointed flats and a ponytail complete the look.
The bold and beautiful
- Who didn't go gaga over Malaika Arora's bold white outfit last year? Sheer, fun and classy, you can wear a number like that to non-office occasions.
- Make sure you have matching innerwear —pretty floral patterns look great.
- Adjust the thigh-high slit based on your comfort — not everyone can pull them off. But it should be a little above your knees or the straight-cut skirt can get constricting. The flair should begin at the slit.
- Pair this with stilettos in the same or a neutral shade. Keep your accessories to a minimum, though bling make-up will add some glam.
Embroidery for everybody
- An embroidered sheer dress like Sonam Kapoor's works for all body types. For, you can also find options like this that have skin-coloured lining.
- This dress should be fitted and have a little flair that complements the embroidery. Make sure that the patterns cover the chest area well, and the bottom is more opaque than the top.
- Don't experiment with necklines — a round neck suits everyone.
- You can go all out with your make-up — bright or dark shades with some shimmer, too. Accessorise minimally.
With inputs by stylist Anjali Sharma
Catch up on all the latest Mumbai news, crime news, current affairs, and also a complete guide on Mumbai from food to things to do and events across the city here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe