Mumbai: 16-year-old Chembur boy electrocuted in Harbour line train
A 16-year-old boy died after coming in contact with high voltage overhead wires atop a local Harbour line train on Sunday evening. He sustained over 80% burns and succumbed in the hospital at night
A 16-year-old boy died after coming in contact with high voltage overhead wires atop a local Harbour line train on Sunday evening. He sustained over 80% burns and succumbed in the hospital at night. The boy, Sudesh Bhosle, left his home in Hanuman Chawl, Chembur West, at 4 pm to hang out with friends from Kurla.
GRP rescues him
The group boarded a train from Chembur railway station. Bhosle and his friends reportedly climbed onto the roof of the train between Tilak Nagar and Chembur stations between 4 pm and 4.30 pm. “The boy then came in contact with high voltage overhead wires,” said Bhosle’s neighbor, Nadeem. As soon as the boy touched the wires, the train came to a halt with a loud crackling noise. The power supply to the wires was disconnected and he pulled off the traintop by the Wadala Government Railway Police (GRP). They rushed him to KEM Hospital in Parel. "He sustained more than 80% burns, and he succumbed to the injuries around 8.30-9pm," said a doctor from the hospital.
Blame friends: Relatives
The boy’s family has demanded an inquiry into the death. "He never travelled on train rooftops before. It must have been his friends who instigated him to do so. We want the police to find out who egged him on and book him for murder," alleged a relative. Bhosle was the youngest in his family of four. His father died 10 years ago, and his mother and two elder brothers tended to the family. Bhosle dropped out of school and did odd jobs to help out the family. He hung out with friends every weekend.
Shunted amongst four hospitals?
Sudesh Bhosle’s relatives claimed that the boy was refused admission to Rajawadi, Sion, Kasturba and Bhatia (in Tardeo) hospitals, before being allowed into KEM Hospital. The hospitals allegedly claimed that they had no bed in their ICUs for burns victims.