Sri Lanka in Test cricket: 17 interesting records, trivia and facts
On this day in 1982, Sri Lanka finally entered the world of cricket when they officially became a Test playing nation. Today, we give you some trivia, records and accomplishments by Sri Lanka in the longest format of the game
Muttiah Muralitharan. Pic/ AFP
On this day in 1982, Sri Lanka finally entered the world of cricket when they officially became a Test playing nation. Today, we give you some trivia, records and accomplishments by Sri Lanka in the longest format of the game.
- Sri Lanka have the record of the highest score in Tests with 952/6 (decl) against India. The record is still unbeaten after almost 19 years.
- Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya and Roshan Mahanama posted the highest partnership in Test with 576 on board. It was later broken 9 years later, by their own teammates Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene when they scored 624 runs.
- Sidath Wettimuny became the first Sri Lankan cricketer in history to score a Test century when he scored 157 during their match against Pakistan in 1981-82. Sidath scored 71 runs in the first innings.
- Sri Lanka won their first ever Test match in 1985 by defeating India by 149 runs in Colombo.
- Sanath Jayasuriya and Mahela Jayawardene are the most successful captains with both winning 18 of the 38 Tests captained.
- Muttiah Muralitharan is the overall highest wicket taker with 800 wickets.
- Muralitharan also has the best bowling figures in an innings by a Lankan with 9/51 vs Zimbabwe.
- Muralitharan has also take the most fifers in an innings by a Sri Lankan with 67.
- Kumar Sangakkara is the SL's leading run scorer and fifth overall run scorer with 12, 400 runs.
Kumar Sangakkara. Pic/ AFP
- Kumar Sangakkara is also the fastest Sri Lankan and third overall to 10,000 runs.
- Sangakkara has hit the most Test hundreds by an SL cricketer and fourth overall with 38 tons.
- Sangakkara also has the highest average by an SL batsman with 57.40.
- The highest individual score by a Sri Lankan is by Mahela Jayawardene who scored 374 vs South Africa.
- Muralitharan is the fastest Sri Lankan to claim 100 wickets.
- Roy Dias is the fastest Sri Lankan to reach 1,000 runs.
- Bandula Warnapura was the appointed the first ever Sri Lankan Test captain.
Bandula Warnapura. pic/ Midday archives
- Jayawardene has taken the most dismissals by a Sri Lankan with 156.