State transport bus catches fire in Thane; no casualty
A state transport bus was today charred after it caught fire near Kasarwadavali in Thane, however, no passenger was injured
Thane (Maharashtra): A state transport bus was today charred after it caught fire near Kasarwadavali here, however no passenger was injured.
The incident took place on the Ghodbunder road when the semi-luxury bus (Asiad) was coming to Thane from Borivili (Mumbai) with around 20 passengers on-board, Senior Police Inspector Shreekant Sonde of Thane city traffic police said.
The driver Shivaji Dongre first saw some sparks coming out and halted the bus. Following which, the passengers, Dongre and the conductor alighted from the bus, he added.
"Within minutes the bus caught fire and was charred. A water tanker which was passing by had to be diverted to the spot. Later the flames were doused," the officer said. No one has been injured in the incident and a probe has been initiated by the police and fire officials, police said.
"The presence of mind shown by the driver saved lives of several passengers," said Santosh Kadam, Chief of Regional Disaster Management Committee, Thane Municipal Corporation.
Officials of Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation were not available for comments.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
BEST bus catches fire in Goregaon