Suicidal Mumbai woman out on bail, tells cops not to arrest her husband

Aug 10, 2013, 08:18 IST | Sagar Rajput

A day after her suicide attempt caused the death of her four-year-old daughter, Vaidehi Gavkar was arrested but released later; while cops wanted to nab her husband for abetting her suicide attempt, she convinced them that he was not responsible

A day after her suicide bid in Shivaji Lake, Bhandup led to the tragic death of her four-year-old daughter Divyani, Vaidehi Gavkar was arrested by Bhandup police yesterday, only to be released on bail a few hours later.

Tragic: MiD DAY had reported on the death of 4-year-old Divyani when she jumped into the lake after her mother, who was trying to take her life by drowning in Shivaji Talao in Bhandup

MiD DAY had reported on the death of the child (‘Mother tries to commit suicide, loses 4-year-old daughter instead’), when she jumped into the lake after her mother, who was trying to take her life by drowning.

Click to view: Mumbai woman attempts suicide; loses her 4-year-old daughter instead

An officer from Bhandup police station said, “Vaidehi was arrested at 7.30 am. Divyani had been taken to Rajawadi Hospital after the mishap on Thursday, where she was declared dead on admission.”

Vaidehi has been booked under sections 304 (A) (death by negligence) and 309 (attempted suicide) of the Indian Penal Code.

Senior Police Inspector Shrirang Nadgauda from Bhandup police station said, “We won’t book her under Section 302 (murder) as the woman had no intention of killing her daughter.

The whole episode was accidental.”

The police officials revealed that they had intended to arrest Vaidehi’s husband Vinayak for abetting her attempt to commit suicide, as alcoholism had triggered off the suicide attempt. However, Vaidehi convinced them not to, claiming that he wasn’t responsible for anything that had happened on Thursday.

The officer added, “Vaidehi had been contemplating suicide for a very long time, but it was her daughter who prevented her from taking such a drastic step. For the past week, her husband Vinayak had started drinking every night before he returned home. Even his father had reprimanded him for coming home in an inebriated state every night.”

Vaidehi claimed that she wanted to discuss her suicidal urges with her husband, but refrained from doing so as she felt that Vinayak would have stopped her.
The officer added, “Since the incident, Vaidehi has been in trauma. Her family members are trying to get her out of this shock, so that she doesn’t take such a drastic step again in the future.”

Police officials are waiting for the family to complete Divyani’s last rites, after which they will record a statement from Vaidehi’s sister, to whom she had sent an SMS before attempting suicide.   

Go to top