Sushma reiterates innocence in Lalit Modi case
The external affairs minister tweeted that she never recommended travel documents for Lalit Modi
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Saturday reiterated that she never requested or recommended travel documents for former IPL chief Lalit Modi, who is facing allegations of tax evasion.
Sushma Swaraj claims that she left the matter of Lalit Modi’s travel documents to the UK govt
“You got it right. I am saying this time and again that I never requested or recommended travel documents for Lalit Modi,” Sushma said in a series of tweets. “I left this to the UK Government to decide under their own laws and regulations. And that is what they did,” she added.
Sushma further stressed that as a minister, she is accountable to the Parliament, adding that she helps people on a daily basis. “As a Minister I am accountable to the Parliament. That is the only forum to inform the nation,” said the External Affairs Minister. “I help people every day. That too on a single tweet,” she added.
The External Affairs Minister further accused the Congress of blocking a debate in the Parliament over the issue. “I accepted a debate on the very first day of the Parliament session. Congress members are not allowing a debate,” she stated.
Sushma had earlier tweeted that a senior leader of the opposition Congress party had approached her for a diplomatic passport for an accused in the multi-billion dollar coal scam. She added that she would reveal the name of the Congress leader in Parliament.