Three youth lose their lives to packed trains

Jan 01, 2013, 01:48 IST | Naveen Nair

Due to a mega block on the central line, the trains were filled to the brim and the three men fell to their death from separate locals

The Central Railway mega block that led to a delay in train services proved fatal for three commuters who lost their lives in three separate mishaps on the central line yesterday. Due to the hold-up, trains were overcrowded, and the deceased were forced to travel on footboards, finally falling off their respective trains.

Travailing: Commuters struggle to board a train at Thane station yesterday.  Pic/Shrikant Khuperkar

According to doctors at Rajawadi hospital, Vidyavihar, all three victims were brought dead to their facility. While two were carrying ID cards and were identified as Deepesh Ajay Kadam (23) and Ashok Ankush Shelar (35), the third victim is yet to be identified. Only Kadam’s relatives turned up at the hospital and his body was sent for post mortem.

Tragedy: Deceased Deepesh Kadam’s father Ajay Kadam (seated) flanked by relatives

“The post-mortem conducted on Deepesh’s body revealed that he had suffered from a skull fracture, multiple fractures to his body and haemorrhagic shock,” a senior doctor from Rajawadi hospital said, adding, “He had grievous head injuries and was brought dead to the hospital.”

According to sources, Kadam boarded a slow train to Kalyan and fell between Ghatkopar and Vikhroli (near poles 19/13 kms) around 11.45 am. Kadam’s father Ajay, who works as a peon, was inconsolable. “My only son is no more. My life has no further purpose. He was still young and had just taken a job with a bank,” he mourned. The Kadams are residents of Bandra Government colony.

According to relatives, Kadam had secured a peon’s job six months ago with a bank in Mulund. He regularly used to travel from Bandra to Mulund via bus and he had his bus pass with him on the day of the accident. However, they have no idea as to why he took the train yesterday.

Within 30 minutes from the first accident, the unidentified victim fell from another train. He was alive while being transferred into an ambulance, but severed limbs and profuse bleeding lead to his death before he could reach Rajawadi.

Following that, Shelar fell around 12.45 pm near Vikhroli station (near poles 21/15 kms). He also suffered from severe head and neck injuries and died on the spot.

When contacted, officials from Central Railway said, “We completed the work by 5 am. Also, those who fell from the trains were going in the down (towards Thane) direction and so the question of over-crowding seems hard to believe.” 

Go to top