Two brothers held for abetting suicide of sister's lover
The accused threatened the victim of dire consequences if he continues his relationship with their sister on June 8
Two brothers have been arrested for allegedly driving a man to suicide as they disapproved of his relationship with their sister in Thane district of Maharashtra, police said on Tuesday. According to police, the accused Chandanprasad Goud and Kundanprasad Goud, both 25, had threatened the victim Appa Patil (21), a resident of Sathe Nagar in Bhiwandi, of dire consequences if he continues his relationship with their sister on June 8.
Hours after he was threatened, Patil allegedly hanged himself with a nylon rope from a tree in Mothawada locality of the town, a police officer said. A case was registered against the Gouds under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) on the complaint lodged by the victim's mother. The brothers were arrested Monday night, the officer added.
In another incident, two months after a 31-year-old woman committed suicide in Dahisar by jumping in front of a local train, six of her in-laws were booked last week for abetting her suicide. According to Dahisar police, the deceased identified as Nita Dilip Chavan was allegedly harassed by her in-laws. Fed up of the harassment, on March 19, she ended her life by jumping in front of a local train. The deceased’s brother Hemant Sawant filed a criminal complaint against her mother-in-law Vanita, husband Dilip, brother-in-law and his wife, Dilip’s sister and her husband. The deceased worked as an assistant manager at the Mumbai international airport.
Top stories of the day
- Mumbai receives cyclonic rain before monsoon hits around June 15
- Mumbai: Esplanade holds key to heritage tag for whole precinct
- Mumbai Crime: Auto driver threatens to sever traffic cop's head, arrested in Khar
- Mumbai: NEET topper's face in ads of 3 different classes raises hackles
- Mumbai: Two die after auto crushed between dumper, private bus on EEH
- Mumbai: Chaos alert as BMC shuts old bridges in Juhu and Oshiwara
- Politicians to plant 9,000 trees for the 3,000 hacked over Metro 4 work
- Dr Ram Puniyani: To label me anti-Hindu is a carefully constructed prism'
- Mumbai doctor's suicide: Court proceedings in Dr Payal Tadvi's case to be recorded on video
- Mumbai Crime: IIT scholar who stalked woman for 5 years held in Bihar
- BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi: New zoo will help preserve Aarey better
- Sewri police arrest 'smart' thieves; discover plan to rob jewellery shops
- Mumbai: Two kids and five dogs electrocuted in first showers
- Nmami Agarwal: Celebrity nutritionist who has trained Manushi Chhillar
- Mumbai Rains: City welcomes first heavy showers of monsoon
- Masaba Gupta looks gorgeous in all-white ensemble
- Woman on flight opens emergency exit door mistaking it for toilet
- Tanuja on the road to recovery; Kajol shares a picture with mother
- Man stabbed to death by his friend over ludo game
- World Cup 2019: Anushka Sharma can't stop praising husband Virat Kohli's on-field gesture
- Yuvraj Singh receives a standing ovation from rumoured ex-girlfriend Kim Sharma on his retirement
- Yuvraj Singh: Cricket taught me to fight, fall, dust myself and get up
- World Cup 2019: ICC needs to take a serious look at the LED bails
- An era ends with Girish Karnad; last rites take place in Bengaluru
- Dino Morea and Shibani Dandekar spotted at an eatery in Bandra
Rajasthan's Suman Rao bags Miss India 2019 crown