Two die of food poisoning in Dharavi

Oct 14, 2012, 08:40 IST | A Correspondent

Two labourers died after consuming food laced with what preliminary inquiries by doctors have suggested was a poisonous dye. Two of their companions are critical in Sion Hospital

Sharda Mishra (45), Ramesh Prasad (45) along with Ramjeevan Gupta (32) and Rajendra Prasad (26) had taken a lunch break from their job at Pandit Dyeing, a unit based in Indira Nagar, Dharavi where a total of 12 persons worked. The four men, who hail from Ghaziabad, prepare lunch in the unit itself, police said.

Both Mishra and Prasad died while undergoing treatment shortly after admission. Gupta and Prasad are reportedly in a critical condition. “We have registered a case of accidental death,” a police officer said.

Dr Suleiman Merchant, dean, Sion hospital said, “All four labourers were brought in with complaints of food poisoning and after medical examination our doctors found that dye colour caused the poisoning. Gupta is currently in EMS and is stable while Rajendra is critical.” 

Go to top