Two 1993 Jaipur blast accused jailed
A designated TADA court here Tuesday convicted two men, Jalees Ansari and Abrar Rehmat Ansari, for a 1993 terror attack in Jaipur and jailed them for 15 and 20 years respectively, a lawyer said
The court, however, acquitted Mohammad Jamal Alvi and Habeeb Ahmed owing to lack of evidence against them in the case.
A teenager had been injured after three low-intensity bombs kept in tiffin boxes went off in Jaipur's Walled City area on Sep 30, 1993.
"First information reports regarding the blasts had been registered with three police stations in Jaipur. The case was being investigated by Rajasthan police's Central Investigation Department. The police had later arrested Jalees Ansari, Abrar Rehmat Ansari, Jamal Alvi and Dr Habib Ahmed," said special public prosecutor Bhagirath Shekhawat.
He added that police had filed a chargesheet against the four accused. The advocate said that it came up during investigation that the blasts in Jaipur had been planned in retaliation to the Babri Masjid demolition in Ayodhya in 1992.
"The court has sentenced Jalees Ansari, Abrar Rehmat Ansari to 15 and 20 years of imprisonment respectively, while Jamal Alvi and Dr Habib Ahmed have been released," said Shekhawat.