UEFA launches match-fixing investigations against Turkish, Romanian clubs
European football's governing body UEFA has launched an investigation into match-fixing against Turkish clubs Besiktas and Fenerbahce as well as Romanian champions Steaua Bucharest.
European football's governing body UEFA said Monday that it has opened match-fixing investigations into Turkish sides Besiktas and Fenerbahce while Romanian champions Steaua Bucharest could face expulsion from the Champions League over a previous match-fixing offence.
Steaua's president Gigi Becali, who was already serving a prison sentence for corruption, was condemned to another three years of incarceration last week for having offered bribes to players from a rival team, Universitatea Cluj in 2008.
Under the criteria with regard to being eligible for the Champions League UEFA can bar any club that has either been directly or indirectly involved in match-fixing.
However, UEFA has not divulged the exact nature of the charges laid against either Steaua or Besiktas.
Two Besiktas officials are under investigation relating to the 2011 Turkish Cup final, which the club won on penalties against Istanbul B.B.
The two cases are due to be heard by the UEFA disciplinary commission on Friday June 21 in Nyon.
UEFA said in a statement released on its website Monday that it had opened disciplinary proceedings in relation to FC Steaua Bucuresti and Besiktas JK.
In the same statement, the UEFA said it has also launched an investigation into another Istanbul-based club, last season's Europa League semi-finalists Fenerbahce, who, along with five of their officials, are suspected of fixing matches as well.
"Furthermore, following the investigation into alleged match-fixing activities involving Fenerbahce SK (Turkey), the UEFA disciplinary inspector has now submitted his findings to the Control and Disciplinary Body, in the context of disciplinary proceedings against this club and five club officials," UEFA said.
UEFA will pronounce judgement on all three cases on June 24.