UoP to launch credit system

Sep 10, 2012, 06:54 IST | Niranjan Medhekar

Continuous evaluation process to be introduced at PG level in all affiliated colleges from next year

The University of Pune (UoP) is all set to introduce the credit system at the post-graduation (PG) level in all its affiliated colleges from the next academic year.

According to the top brass of the UoP, the credit system will change the traditional assessment system and students will get exposure to the continuous evaluation process.

Winds of change: The University of Pune main building. The university says continuous assessment methods like open book tests, tutorials and project work will be brought in under the credit system and students will be able to opt for subjects outside their core stream. File Pic

Academic flexibility
The UoP’s Board of College and University Development (BCUD) director Dr V B Gaikwad said the new system would make for academic flexibility.

“The Introduction of the credit system will bring 100 per cent academic flexibility,” Gaikwad said. “The restrictive walls of traditional streams and subjects will collapse and students can opt for inter-disciplinary subjects also.”

He stressed that the credit system was not just about converting marks into credits. “In the credit system, there is a totally different approach on assessment,” he said. “The college’s job will not be over just by conducting the semester exam. This new system will bring continuous assessment methods like open book tests, tutorials and project work.”

In the credit system, a student will have to opt for 80 per cent credits from his core stream, but he will have the freedom to choose the remaining 20 per cent credits from other streams. For instance, a science student will be able to choose any subject from the social sciences, which was not possible earlier.

Getting started on it
The BCUD has set a deadline of September 15 for all faculties to submit a theme paper on how to go about implementing the credit system in their courses.  “After we get the theme paper, we will go for a peer review on it,” Gaikwad said. “We have different workshops scheduled with academia and industry.” 

Dr Gautam Bhong, dean of the UoP’s mental, moral and social sciences faculty, welcomed the upcoming change. “The main positive change the credit system will bring is increase attendance in classrooms as 50 per cent marks will be internal,” Bhong said. “For social sciences, there are 130 PG centres under the UoP. We have formed sub-committees under the board of studies, which will be submitting our faculty’s theme paper to the BCUD on September 15.” 

For univ, better late than never
The Higher and Technical Education Department of the state government has appealed to all state universities to implement the credit system in affiliated colleges from this year itself, but the UoP is unable to do so. Though the UoP will be implementing it at the PG level from the next academic year, it has become clear that for the undergraduate (UG) courses it will take a year more than that for implementation.

Go to top