Upset over water scarcity, farmer commits suicide in Maharashtra
A 47-year-old farmer under depression due to unavailability of water and fodder for his cattle committed suicide in Satara district on Thursday.
A 47-year-old farmer, who was apparently under depression due to unavailability of water and fodder for his cattle and drought allegedly committed suicide in Maharashtra's Satara district, police said on Thursday. The deceased identified as Sampat Kokre hanged himself on Wednesday from the
the ceiling of a room at his house in Man tehsil, located around 250 km, stated an official at Dahiwadi police station.
He took the extreme step to end his life when his wife and son had gone out of the house for some work, the official added. On being informed, the police immediately rushed to the spot and sent the body for postmortem, the official said. The farmer's nephew, Uttam Kokre, said, "My uncle was under depression as he did not have any work due to drought and unavailability of water. He had some land and a few cattle, but was unable to feed them well."
The police official, however, said, "Kokre had liquor addition since last 10 years and was jobless, and they suspect this might have led him to commit suicide. "We have called his relatives to record their statements," he said, adding that an investigation was on.
Recent suicide cases in Mumbai
A35-year-old father, who was accused of sexually assaulting his minor daughter committed suicide in Rajasthan's Pratapgarh district, police said. The accused's wife had registered a complaint at Dhariawad police station alleging that the father had raped their 14-year-old daughter six days ago. "The man was absconding after an FIR was lodged against him. He returned to his house and committed suicide," a police officer said.
The Virar police recovered the bodies of a mother and son, who allegedly committed suicide in their flat in Virar. The victims, 42-year-old Saraswati Chougule and her 25-year-old-son Vinod Chougule, resided in Sainath Nagar, Virar (E). Preliminary investigation reveals that they committed suicide by consuming poison. Their bodies were found lying on the floor when one of the neighbours peeped in from the window at around 8.15 pm. He first alerted the other neighbours, then informed the relatives of the deceased and later the police. Before the police arrived, the neighbours succeeded in breaking down the door and rushed them both to the hospital. Doctors declared them dead on arrival.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Aditya Pancholi claims he was threatened with a rape case, submits video
- Mumbai: Kids show how to sort out Vile Parle's traffic woes
- Mumbai: BPO firm asked to pay Rs 2.62 crore or face recovery proceedings
- Mumbai: Narrow approach stalls Jogeshwari project
- Pune: Honest janitor returns mangalsutra worth Rs 2 lakh
- Deven Bharti is new ATS chief, Maharashtra
- Mumbai: HC refuses to vacate stay on BMC's Tree Authority
- Medicine shortage: BMC blacklists rogue supplier
- Dadar's Chitra Cinema to shut down; SOTY 2 to be its last day last show
- Nick Barnes: Power to humiliate has increased dramatically
- Action should follow new BMC chief's promises
- Ramona Narang: The transformation of high society's once wild child
- Aranya Johar: The 20-year-old poet who is taking the internet by storm
- A walk through Mohammed Ali Road's Khau Galli
- Interesting facts about the Holy Month of Ramzan
Edited by mid-day online desk with inputs from Agencies
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Unable to pay loan, farmer commits suicide in Punjab