Venus Williams becomes oldest woman to enter WTA top 10 ranking
American tennis ace Venus Williams has entered the top ten of latest WTA ranking following her victory in the Zhuhai Masters in China; sister Serena still holds the number one spot
Johannesburg: American tennis ace Venus Williams has entered the top ten of latest WTA ranking following her victory in the Zhuhai Masters in China.
The 35-year-old outclassed Karolina Pliskova 7-5, 7-6 (6) to win the WTA Elite Trophy.
Venus Williams. Pic/ AFP
Venus, who has climbed up from 11th to seventh place, also became the oldest woman to have featured in the list since Martina Navratilova in 1995, Sport24 reported.
Five-time Wimbledon champion Venus had last topped the ranking in February 2002.
Meanwhile, Venus' younger sister Serena Williams remains on top with 9,945 points and maintains a comfortable advantage of 3,885 over Simona Halep of Rome.
Outside the top 10, Pliskova also moved up to two places and grabbed the 11th spot.
1. Serena Williams (USA) 9 945 pts
2. Simona Halep (ROM) 6 060
3. Garbie Muguruza (ESP) 5 200
4. Maria Sharapova (RUS) 5 011
5. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 4 500
6. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4 220
7. Venus Williams (USA) 3 790 (+4)
8. Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 3 621 (-1)
9. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 3 590 (-1)
10. Angelique Kerber (GER) 3 590