We needed to set up example by banning Nayar, Kulkarni: MCA chief
Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) president Ravi Savant said strict action was necessary in the case of India cricketer Abhishek Nayar and Dhaval Kulkarni, who were were dropped by the association for a pre-season tournament on Thursday.
ODI discard Nayar and medium-pacer Kulkarni will not travel with the Mumbai team for the Bapuna cricket tournament in Nagpur commencing on September 23
after the Anil Kumble-led Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) reported the misconduct of the duo to the MCA.
It is learnt that Nayar and Kulkarni used abusive language against local umpires during Shafi Darashah tournament held in Bangalore last month. “The matter was sorted after our players apologised to the umpires, but the KSCA wanted us (MCA) to take action for their misconduct. They have been banned for one tournament,” said a source.
President Savant told MiD DAY: “The action was necessary as I have been clear that any misbehaviour will not be tolerated. We received a letter from the KSCA and necessary action was taken. This will set an example for other Mumbai cricketers.”
Nayar led the MCA team in the Darashah meet and the incident took place in the final against hosts KSCA XI, who won the title.