Week after ex Tata employee's 'suicide,' mystery still reigns

Jul 06, 2013, 00:40 IST | Vinod Kumar Menon

Charrudutta Deshpande's friends reveal that he had already bagged a new job following his departure from Tata, and had a series of interviews lined up with bigger companies, and could not have taken his life over the loss of his job

When Charrudutta Deshpande (57) was found hanging in his Vasai home on Friday, June 28, the former Corporate Affairs and Communication Chief at Tata Steel had a slew of meetings lined up ahead of him. In fact, he was scheduled to sign a statutory bond with Tata and meet an official from the company’s corporate office in Mumbai.

Charrudutta Deshpande with his family
From the album: Charrudutta Deshpande with his family

On Sunday, June 30, Charru was to meet a former colleague from ICICI bank at his Borivli residence. According to his friends, he was anticipating a new and exciting chapter in his career. In the second week of June, he met a senior representative on the board of IT giant Infosys in Mumbai, and was set to fly to Bangalore on July 8 to meet the senior management of the company.

He was also in dialogue with the senior management of Axis Bank. In addition to all this, he had already bagged a job with a Public Relations company, who had agreed to match his earlier salary and designation.

Aware of all the exciting possibilities that Charru was exploring, his close friends are grappling with the question as to why he would kill himself, having set up all the appointments.

Confirming the developments, a close associate of Charru told MiD DAY, requesting anonymity, “Those who felt that Charru might be depressed about his future after resigning from Tata Steel must understand that he had job offers in his pocket and he would not have killed himself for such a reason. He was definitely under some stress on that day, which triggered such a drastic step.”

Rajesh Chaturvedi of Adfactors, who is also a close associate of Charru, said, “Charru was an honest person, I have known him for over two decades. I do not know what kind of pressure he was under, but I am sure it was not related to the loss of his job or financial issues. He took his life, and only those who were troubling him know why. Nobody else knows what he had gone through or was going through. The truth is still to come out.”

Charru’s wife Nivedita (50) and her children are still trying to come to terms with the loss. Nivedita said, “Charru did not give any clue to us. He was tense for nearly a month, after he returned from Jamshedpur, but did not share anything with me or with his children. We are still confused.”

The case, which was earlier being probed by a constable, has now been assigned to Inspector Anil Sanober, after MiD DAY reported on the matter.

On Thursday, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Vasai) Deepak Devraj said, “We have recorded the statement of Charru’s wife and children and they have confirmed that he was depressed since a month, but they do not know the reason for the same. We are in the process of collecting data from the mobile phone and iPad. We are probing the case and it is too early to make any statement.” 

Go to top