Who threw the first punch?

Mar 22, 2013, 07:46 IST | Sandip Kolhatkar

While the female referee has alleged that the instructor hit her unprovoked, the latter claims the organisers attacked him after he questioned them for ousting 20 of his pupils from the tournament

The Pune District Kickboxing Mayor Championship witnessed more action outside the ring than in it. The event held at Hadapsar on Sunday turned into a slugfest between a karate instructor and the organisers. In the melee, a 23-year-old female referee was injured when she tried to intervene. The championship was organised for seven to seventeen-year-olds. 

Representation pic

Two complaints were lodged at Hadapsar police station. Referee Pallavi Abnave, a resident of Haveli and a second-year MBA student, filed a case against Jameel Gulab Khan (35), a resident of Nana Peth and a karate instructor who runs an academy named Okinawa Karate Federation in the city. Khan himself lodged a case against the organisers Bapu Ghule, Vinod Kunjeer and Amol Mane under relevant sections of IPC.

In her complaint, Pallavi stated that on Sunday afternoon, when the championship was underway at the Neelkamal Hall in Hadapsar, Khan – who also teaches kickboxing – arrived there with about 300 students. He directly came up to her and demanded an explanation on why 20 of his pupils were not allowed to participate in the tournament.

“As I was not aware of this matter and was busy with my duties as a referee, I asked him to consult Ghule and the other organisers,” stated Pallavi in her statement.

She added that Khan, who was in a fit of rage, turned back and snatched some papers from the hands of referee Amol Mane, hit him on his nose and chest, threw away all the papers, and obstructed him from going into the ring.

“Khan also turned and hit me on my left leg and also instructed his students to create chaos and obstruct the tournament. The blow from Khan was so powerful that I fell to the ground and was later admitted to a private hospital,” said Pallavi.

Different beat
On the other hand, in his complaint against Ghule, Kunjir and Mane, Khan said, “When the competition was underway, 20 boys from my group approached me and complained that they had been ousted by the organisers without giving them a chance to participate. I then took them with me and went to Mane, Kunjir and Ghule and sought clarification. However, Ghule and his accomplices started hurling abuses and hitting me.”

He maintained that when his students came to his rescue, they were threatened of dire consequences.

“I somehow managed to escape, went to Hadapsar police station and lodged a complaint,” added Khan.

Arrested, then released on bail
Sub-inspector D R Madne of Hadapsar police station said that the complaints were registered on Monday and on Tuesday. Ghule, Mane, Kunjir and Khan were arrested and an investigation is on.

“Since the charges were bailable, all four were released on Thursday,” said Madne.

Go to top