WikiLeaks will release million more files in 2013: Julian Assange
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is seeking refuge in the Ecuadorean embassy in London, said that the website will release nearly a million documents in 2013.
Julian Assange has said his work ‘will not be cowed’, promising that WikiLeaks will release a million more documents in 2013.
In a speech from a balcony at the Ecuadorean Embassy in London, he said the files to be published in 2013 would affect ‘every country in this world’.
It is six months since he sought asylum to avoid extradition to Sweden over sexual assault claims, which he has denied.
He fears being sent to the US and being punished for leaking diplomatic files, a report said.
According to the report, a crowd of some 80 supporters gathered outside the building in Knightsbridge to listen to the 41-year-old Australian, whose website has published a number of leaked cables embarrassing many countries.
In his statement, Assange said the US Pentagon had recently described the existence of Wikileaks as an ‘ongoing crime’, the report said.
"While that remains the case and while my government will not defend the journalism and publishing of Wikileaks, I must remain here,” addressing supporters, some of whom carried candles, he said.
"However, the door is open, and the door has always been open, for anyone who wishes to use standard procedures to speak to me or guarantee my safe passage," he added.
He also said 2012 had been a ‘huge year’ for the organisation.
During the speech, Assange saluted journalists who reported arrests around the world.
"It is from the revelation of the truth that all else follows... our civilisation is only as strong as its ideas are true," he added.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
No more trees to be axed in Aarey until October 21, says Supreme Court