Work on Mumbai Metro delayed further
The BMC and MMRDA are yet to reach a consensus over who will bear the cost of the removal of the 21 piers coming in the way of the Colaba-Bandra-Seepz Metro line 3
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) have been unable to reach a consensus regarding the removal of the 21 piers blocking the construction of the upcoming Colaba-Bandra-Seepz metro line III. According to sources, while MMRDA had earlier claimed to bear the cost of the removal, they have now asked the civic body to take on the responsibility.
Two weeks ago, sunday mid-day had reported about how the BMC was in a fix, as the 21 piers it had constructed on the Dharavi nullah for the Sion-Mahim-Dharavi bridge came in the way of the Rs 24,000 crore Metro project. The MMRDA had asked them to remove the obstacles, and the civic body has been running pillar to post to get a consultant in place to carry out the work. They were also asked by MMRDA to complete the reconstruction of the bridge within a span of 18 months.
However, this time, financial issues have delayed the work. Apparently, the MMRDA which had proposed to bear the cost of the reconstruction of the bridge, has asked the BMC to take over. “The MMRDA has asked us to bear the cost of the removal of those piers. Talks are on, but it seems the work will be delayed because of it,” said a BMC official on condition of anonymity.
The Deputy Chief Engineer of Bridges Department, R Tare, said, “We have not yet finalised the consultants for the removal of the piers, as we are yet to decide who will bear the cost of the removal and reconstruction of the bridge.”
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe